Friday, November 15, 2013

Clean up at Grandma's house and memories

One Saturday afternoon  a few weeks ago we headed up to grandma's house to clean up for winter. It was a really nice day and there was a lot to do. We told the kids they couldn't play until we cleaned up. They got to work and did a great job. The reward was donuts and grandma's hamburgers for dinner.


Growing up my parents made us do almost everything together. We had to cut and haul wood for ourselves and grandparents. There was planting a garden, working in the garden, canning apricots, picking whatever fruit there was offered to us. There's nothing like home grown boysenberries and cherries. I remember all that work and a lot of times it wasn't fun but there were lots of good memories.The greatest memories were the family was together and helping. Whether it was making our garden grow or seeing grandma so happy we were keeping her warm for the winter it taught me that families stick together. The things I remember the most were when we stayed up working late into the night canning so we could eat in the winter, jumping in the big wholes dad dug in the garden, spending what seemed like all day cutting big logs in the mountains and having to roll them to dad, or taking wood to families that didn't have any. Having 4 girls did not stop my dad from putting us to work. We learned how to work together and get things done. How grateful I am for parents that made it a point to teach us that each one of us was important and needed. More importantly that the family worked together. I love doing things with Mike. I love it more when we as a couple get the kids and work. I love how Mike's parents taught him how to work and if he wanted something he worked for it. Mike continues to teach me the joy of work. He is often tired, sleep deprived and lacking energy but he never once complains about having to go to work so early and doing what a husband and father do to provide for his family. Oh how I love and admire this man.










No comments:

Post a Comment