Thursday, April 9, 2015

Birthday Reflections

This last month I turned 36. Hard to believe since I never thought about what life would be like at this age. When I was a teenager the extent of thinking about my future was go to college, maybe a mission, get married and have kids. I never thought about what life with kids would be. I just knew I wanted some. This past year I haven't had any major events happen in my life except having a baby. I can say that bringing our 6th child into this world  9 months ago was a miracle. I am still amazed at how a woman's body can grow another body and change so much. Then after giving birth can recover and one can almost forget all she went through to get that precious spirit into this world. I love all my children and when I think of their births my heart is tender because each birth was so different, some more painful than others, and yet so special. After we found out we were expecting number 6 in 2013 I started praying and planning for this bigger family. I wanted a bigger house so that we wouldn't have to squish 6 kids into 2 rooms yet I didn't want a smaller yard. What do you sacrifice? I wanted a car that was safe and fit our growing family. 2014 was a year for learning that what I want isn't always what I get. I was always looking for houses, often driving myself crazy looking so much thinking we HAD to move. I found nothing worth pursuing and after praying things would work out decided the Lord would make it possible if needed and left it at that. We are cramped a little more but can't complain because we do have a bathroom and our own room! In this search for bigger and better I have failed to see the great things we do have. I have realized moving is not a necessity but a desire and so I can live happy knowing smaller is still okay.
After many years of traveling with strollers, on bikes, and then using my in-laws van, I am happy to say I have my car. I always hoped for this but in reality never thought this day would come. I am so grateful for the best husband who works so hard and sacrifices so much to provide for his family. Our purchase of the family car was a combination of both of our wants, although I think Mike got more of what he wanted. I am so blessed to have this wonderful man in my life and love him with all my heart.
The last 2 years I have been a teacher in the Relief Society and every month I taught my lesson I wondered why I was giving it because I felt I knew very little on the topics. I was humbled so much and only made it through my lessons because of much prayer and the Spirit. Things I have learned from teaching are: I need to be a better student, the Lord does not let me down when he calls me, and every day I can do better than the day before. All the Lord wants is that I keep trying to do my best. I do admit when I got a new calling I was somewhat relieved to not be a teacher anymore and on the other hand I kind of miss being part of the Relief Society. I know I still am but being in Primary now is a different world and there is no visiting with sisters there. I am so grateful and know the Lord really does qualify those he calls. I love this gospel. I love my brother and Savior Jesus Christ. I know he suffered for me because he loves me. I am so grateful for the plan of Salvation and for the knowledge I have of a loving Heavenly Father that knows perfectly what I need and loves me no matter what.
My goals for this year of my 36th year of life is to find joy and laugh a little more. Okay, maybe laugh a lot more. I intend to work on this every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment